April was a slower month for script sales. Sony purchased Ben Lustig and Jake Thornton’s pitch for The Wells Initiative about a young H.G. Wells who literally experiences events that will inspire his stories. Universal has picked up A Meyers Thanksgiving, a spec comedy written by David E. Talbert about an estranged family’s first Thanksgiving after the matriarch died. OddLot bought Adam R. Perlman and Graham Sack’s rom-com spec Septillion to One, which follows an FBI agent who has been transferred to the Texas State Lottery’s fraud unit. Finally, Disney has acquired a live-action, period drama Mulan spec by Elizabeth Martin and Lauren Hynek.
Other script sales:
– Breaking Bad’s Vince Gilligan to write/direct a live-action Jack and the Beanstalk for Disney.
– Universal outbid Disney and Paramount to purchase Josh Gad and Jeremy Garelick’s untitled musical comedy. Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz to provide the music.
– Warner Bros. acquired the pitch Principia, a historical thriller with Christian Contreras attached to write.
– Sean “Diddy” Combs to produce Brightmore Elementary (described as South Park in Detroit) for FX with Chip Hall and Chris Powell to write.
– True Detective’s Cary Fukunaga to direct and Brokeback Mountain’s Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry to pen a drama based on the true story of Joe and Jadin Bell.