Some of the most notable script sales from April 2021.
– Twentieth Century Studios and Star Thrower Entertainment have picked up No One Will Save You, a sci-fi/horror spec written by Brian Duffield. Kaitlyn Dever is attached to executive produce and star, and Duffield will also direct.
– Universal Pictures—along with Davis Entertainment, 1stAveMachine, and Altogether Entertainment—have picked up Morgan Jurgenson and Alex Ankeles’s untitled family adventure/comedy spec. It is based on an idea by Ross Siegel, who will also produce.
– Brickell & Broadbridge International will produce the sci-fi thriller Soul Assassin, written by Jesse Atlas and Aaron Wolfe, based on their short film “Let Them Die Like Losers.” Atlas will also direct, and Bruce Willis to star.
– Warner Bros. and MACRO are moving forward with their reboot/remake of the 1973 film Cleopatra Jones. Ihuoma Ofordire will write the script, and Misha Green will produce. The original film was directed by Jack Starrett and written by Max Julien and Sheldon Keller.
– Impossible Dream Entertainment will produce a film adaptation of the upcoming video game Aztech Forgotten Gods, which looks exceptionally cool. The game from Lienzo Gaming Studio was created by Guillermo Vizcaino.
– And in this month’s Disney/Marvel news: Malcolm Spellman and Dalan Musson will script the next entry in the Captain America franchise, rumored to follow Anthony Mackie’s Sam Wilson. Kevin Feige will produce.
– Hyde Park Entertainment and West Madison Entertainment have picked up the Connie Lawn biopic Bury the Lede, written by Joy Gregory. Anna D. Shapiro will direct.
– Michael Mitnick has been tapped to script the Jim Henson biopic Muppet Man for Disney and The Jim Henson Company.
– 47 Ronin is getting a sequel from Universal 1440 Entertainment. Aimee Garcia and AJ Mendez will script, and Ron Yuan will direct. The 2013 film was written by Chris Morgan and Hossein Amini with a story by Morgan and Walter Hamada.
– Sacha Gervasi is set to write/direct the Boy George Karma Chameleon for Millennium Media, Templeton Media, and Portobello Electric. Boy George will executive produce.
– Mateel Films and One Race Films (Vin Diesel) are making a movie based on Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots. Ryan Engle will write. Diesel will also star.
– Walt Disney Pictures and Gloria Sanchez Productions (Will Ferrell) are making an (as-of-now untitled) evil stepsisters movie, based on the evil stepsisters Anastasia and Drizella Tremaine from Cinderella, with a script from Oscar-nominated writing duo Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo. Wiig and Mumolo will possibly star.
– Landline Pictures, Michael Patrick King Productions, and The Big Picture Company are producing the sports comedy The Back Nine. Renée Zellweger will produce and star as a female golfer. Michael Patrick King, Jhoni Marchinko, and Krista Smith will provide the script, and King will also direct.
– John Logan will write and direct Whistler Camp, a horror movie set at a gay conversion camp, for Blumhouse Productions.
– Ancient Aliens is getting an adaptation from Legendary Pictures and Counterbalance Entertainment. Luke Ryan will script and executive produce; Josh Heald will produce and direct.
– A24 and 2AM have acquired Kristen Roupenian’s thriller script Bodies, Bodies, Bodies. Maria Bakalova and Amanda Stenberg will star, with Pete Davidson and Myha’la Herrold in talks to join the cast. Halina Reijn will direct.
– Searchlight Pictures and Neal Street Productions to make writer/director Sam Mendes’s next feature Empire of Light. Olivia Colman will star.
Adaptations currently in development can be found here on Book Pipeline.