Here are some of the most notable script sales from January 2022.
– New Republic Pictures and Jack Gyllenhaal’s Nine Stories Productions have acquired the spec script Cut and Run, a heist thriller written by John Glenn. Gyllenhaal will also star.
– The video game It Takes Two will be getting the movie treatment over at DJ2 Entertainment. Pat Casey and Josh Miller will provide the script. The game was directed by Josef Fares and written by Fares and Soni Jorgensen, and it was released by Hazelight Studios in 2021.
– Universal Picturs and Working Title Films will produce writer/director Coralie Fargeat’s feminist body horror film The Substance. Demi Moore and Margaret Qualley will star.
– Genesius Pictures is moving forward with the Wim Hof biopic The Iceman. Jeff Pope wrote the script, Kevin Macdonald will direct, and Joseph Fiennes will produce and star.
– A24 is co-producing a very A24 movie with Participant Media: BLKNWS, to be based on Kahlil Joseph’s art installation of the same name. Joseph will write and direct the feature adaptation.
– XYZ Films, GFC Films, and Echo Lake Productions will be making the sci-fi/horror Ash from screenwriter Jonni Remmler. Flying Lotus (Steven Ellison) will direct.
– Jeremy Slater will script the sequel to 2021’s Mortal Kombat for New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. The first film was written by Greg Russo and Dave Callaham, and the original video game was created by Ed Boon and John Tobias.
– Media Rights Capital and LuckyChap Entertainment will produce writer/director/Academy Award winner Emerald Fennell’s next project, currently untitled.
– Judd Apatow’s Apatow Productions and Tig Notaro and Stephanie Allynne’s Something Fierce Productions are teaming up for Time and Space. Allynne will write (based on a story from her and Notaro) and also direct, and Notaro will star.
– A24 and DNA Films are making a Civil War movie from writer/director Alex Garland. Kirsten Dunst will star.
– Tractor Beam, MXN, and Artists First will produce the sci-fi/thriller Ursa Major, written by Patrick Somerville, Katie French, and Colleen O’Brien. Jonathan Baker and Josh Baker will direct.
– The Aristocats is getting a live-action adaptation from Disney and Olive Bridge Entertainment. Will Gluck and Keith Bunin will provide the script. The original 1970 screenplay was written by Larry Clemmons, Vance Gerry, Ken Anderson, Frank Thomas, Eric Cleworth, Julius Svendsen and Ralph Wright.
– Paramount Pictures, Kendrick Lamar’s pgLang Company, and Matt Stone and Trey Parker’s Park County will produce an untitled comedy written by Vernon Chatman.
– Sony and James Wan’s Atomic Monster will produce writer/director Jeremy Slater’s sci-fi Thread, which is being described as Back to the Future meets Aliens.
– Lionsgate, Mandeville Films, and Get Lifted Film Company have optioned the 2021 Black List script Homecoming, written by Murder Ink (a.k.a., Brandon Broussard, Hudson Obayuwana, and Jana Savage).
– Chris Evans might play Gene Kelly in a fantasy film from writer John Logan, based on an idea from Evans. Rian Johnson’s T-Street, John Logan’s Desert Wolf Productions, and Like Minded Entertainment will produce alongside Evans.
Adaptations currently in development can be found here on Book Pipeline.