July was a slower month for script sales. . . . Ivan Reitman’s Montecito Picture Company will produce Cassie Daniels and Mark Bartosic’s comedy spec Besties, a comedy about a woman and her three best friends who set off on a road trip to break up the wedding of her childhood crush. Amblin and Madhouse Entertainment will team up to produce Pete Bridges’ sci-fi/action spec The Fall, which follows a newly divorced couple trying to get to the suburbs on foot, where their children are home alone during an alien invasion. New Line has acquired the rights to The Cold War, based on David Wolman and Julian Smith’s article about a turf war between ice cream trucks. Fox 2000 acquired Ted Melfi’s Fruit Loops, which has been described as being in the same vein as One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.
More script sales:
– Kirsten Dunst and Nellie Kim to write the script for The Bell Jar, based on Sylvia Plath’s novel. Dunst to also direct.
– Joe Carnahan to adapt Uncharted for Sony.
– Paul Dano to direct Wildlife, based on Richard Ford’s novel. The adapted script was written by Dano and Zoe Kazan.
– Max Winkler and Matt Spicer to write the sequel/reboot The Rocketeers for Disney.
– Alcon and Madhouse have acquired Sheri Elwood’s comedy pitch Besties about a young woman who becomes besties with her new roommate only to discover she’s a dangerous psychopath.
– Eric Heisserer to write Lights Out 2 for New Line.