Many high-profile projects were acquired in March. Dan Harmon will produce Isaac Adamson’s Black List script Bubbles, a Michael Jackson biopic told from the point-of-view of his chimp Bubbles. It will be a stop-motion animation film. A pair of specs from Max Landis (Chronicle) were picked up in March: Deeper, a mystery/thriller about a disgraced astronaut, by Phantom Four Films and Addictive Pictures, and Bright, a fantasy centering on orcs, fairies, and police officers, by Netflix. The latter sold for $3 million. Paramount is moving forward with BenDavid Grabinski’s Bravado, about a former soldier who takes a job as a police officer. Anonymous Content picked up the drama spec Letters From Rosemary, written by Nick Yarborough and based on Rosemary Kennedy and the lobotomy that left her permanently incapacitated. Emma Stone set to star.
Other script sales include:
– Disney gave Script Pipeline winner Evan Daugherty (Snow White and the Huntsman, Divergent) the go-ahead on developing Rose Red, based on an original script by Justin Merz and a pitch by Evan.
– David Wain to direct a star-studded cast in A Futile and Stupid Gesture, based on the early history of National Lampoon and written by Michael Colton and John Aboud.
– A24 and Scott Rudin Productions have acquired Jonah Hill’s coming-of-age spec Mid ’90s. Hill to also direct.
– Delia Ephron to adapt her novel Siracusa for Working Title Films. Alfonso Gomez-Rejon to direct.
– Sofia Coppola to write/direct a remake of The Beguiled for American Zoetrope. Elle Fanning, Nicole Kidman, and Kirsten Dunst to star.
– EFO Films and Film 44 are teaming to produce Taylor Kitsch’s drama/thriller script Pieces. Kitsch to also direct.
– Fox Searchlight to produce writer/director Guillermo del Toro’s untitled Cold War romance/drama. Octavia Spencer to potentially star.