For this month in script sales, we start off with Voicemails for Isabelle. The romantic comedy spec, written by Leah McKendrick, was picked up by Escape Artists and Sony and follows a woman dating in Los Angeles. Sharon Maguire is in talks to direct, and Hailee Steinfeld will star. Next we have the suspense/horror spec Don’t Go in the Water, which was written by Peter Gaffney and found a home with Universal Pictures, 21 Laps Entertainment, and Lit Entertainment Group. The story follows an alcoholic in an isolated cabin who contends with a massive tentacled creature in the nearby lake and fights to survive.
Other script sales:
– Miss Universe found a home with, appropriately, Universal Pictures. Abe Forsythe’s script is described as Miss Congeniality meets Men in Black. Forsythe will direct, Lupita Nyong’o is set to produce and star.
– Jane Campion is adapting Thomas Savage’s novel The Power of the Dog for See-Saw Films, Max Films, and Big Shell Films. Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Moss will star.
– David S. Goyer is set to script a Hellraiser remake.
– Abe Sylvia will adapt an adaptation of the documentary The Eyes of Tammy Faye for Fox Searchlight.
– Thematic Entertainment picked up Peter Hoare’s comedy script Down Under, which follows a detective who goes undercover with a group of Australian male exotic dancers. Chris Hemsworth and Tiffany Haddish will star.
– Pete Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg are writing a Saw spinoff based off an idea from Chris Rock.
– Laura Terruso will rewrite and direct Alison Peck’s Work It for STX Entertainment. The comedy follows a group of high school misfits competing in a dance competition.
– Tom King will script a New Gods adaptation for Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment.