Here are some of the most notable script sales from May 2020:
– Jamie Lee Curtis and Russell Goldman’s climate change horror script Mother Nature was acquired by Blumhouse. Curtis will make her feature directorial debut.
– Taika Waititi and Krysty Wilson-Cairnstaika will write a Star Wars spinoff for Disney and Lucasfilm. Waititi will also direct.
– Paramount Pictures and di Bonaventura Pictures picked up Mattson Tomlin’s sci-fi/drama/dystopian spec 2084.
– Paramount Pictures, Weed Road Productions, and The Tea Shop & Film Company are teaming for Flight. Miles Chapman’s spec is a contained thriller set on an international flight, based on an idea by Johannes Roberts. Roberts will also direct.
– Paramount Pictures and Fully Formed Entertainment won out in a bidding war for Daniel H. Wilson’s sci-fi spec The Blue Afternoon That Lasted Forever, based on his short story.
– Good Films Collective will produce Petter Skavlan’s true-story drama The Execution about Jamal Khashoggi’s murder. Daniel Espinosa will direct.
– Lauren Schuker Blum and Rebecca Angelo will script Wolfman for Universal Pictures and Arcana, based on an original pitch by Ryan Gosling. Gosling will produce and possibly star. Cory Finley will possibly direct.
– Emily Jerome’s 2017 Black List script Panopticon found a home with AGC Studios and Scott Free Productions. Andrés Baiz will direct the crime/thriller.
– Over at TriStar Pictures and The Jim Henson Company, Maggie Levin will script the sequel to 1986’s Labyrinth, written by Terry Jones. Scott Derrickson is attached to direct.
– Doug Liman will script and direct the first movie filmed in outer space for Hypnotic. Tom Cruise will produce and star while NASA and Elon Musk’s Space X will assist with production.
– Chuck Hayward will script the Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead remake for Treehouse Pictures. The 1991 film was originally written by Neil Landau and Tara Ison.
– Frances O’Connor will write and direct Emily, based on the life of Emily Brontë, for Tempo Productions and Arenamedia.
– Original Film and Ugly Baby Productions have picked up Marlon Wayans and Rick Alvarez’s action rom-com Ride or Die. Wayans will also star.
– James Vanderbilt and Guy Busick will script Scream 5 for Spyglass and Project X. Described as a reboot/sequel. Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett will direct.
Adaptations currently in development can be found here on Book Pipeline.