Here are some of the most notable script sales from November 2020.
– Lionsgate, Point Grey Pictures (Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s production company), and Stampede Ventures have picked up Chris Thomas Devlin’s horror spec Video Nasty. Jonathan Levine is in talks to direct.
– Stampede Ventures and Savvy Media Holdings have acquired Mr. Croup, a spec spy thriller written by Ward Parry.
– New Line Cinema and Atomic Monster (James Wan) are teaming up to produce Joshua Rollin’s untitled horror spec, set in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles. Bishal Dutta will direct.
– Curiosa Films will produce writer/director Claire Denis’ next film, Radioscopie. Juliette Binoche will star.
– Gran Via Productions and The H Collective will produce the coming-of-age drama The Vineyard written by Tory Kamen. Mark Steven Johnson will direct.
– Mark Chappell’s untitled murder mystery script, set in London’s West End in the 1950s, has found a home with DJ Films and Searchlight Pictures. Saoirse Ronan, Sam Rockwell, and David Oyelowo will star; Tom George will direct.
– Universal Pictures, Lord Miller (Phil Lord and Chris Miller), and Free Association (Channing Tatum) have picked up an untitled horror/thriller script written by Wes Tooke and inspired by one of Universal’s classic movie monsters. Tatum is set to star and produce.
– Lizzie Molyneux-Loeglin and Wendy Molyneux will script the second sequel to Marvel Studio/Twentieth Century Studios’ Deadpool. Ryan Reynolds will return to star and produce.
– Twentieth Century has tapped Patrick Aison to script the next entry in the Predator franchise, created by Jim and John Thomas. It is being described as “not a sequel.” Dan Trachtenberg will direct.
– Olive Bridge Entertainment (Will Gluck) and Sony Pictures have picked up Nicole Delaney’s Motherf*&er, a multi-generational romantic comedy based on a true story. Delaney will possibly direct.
– Paramount Players and Khalabo Ink Society (Kenya Barris) acquired One Night in Comptom based on a pitch package. Rohan Blair-Mangat will direct, and Stanley Kalu will script based on a story by Kalu and Blair-Mangat.
– Over at MGM, Chris Bremner will script a hybrid live-action/CGI film based on Hawley Pratt and Friz Freleng’s iconic character the Pink Panther. Jeff Fowler will direct, and Dame Julie Andrews will produce.
– Orion Pictures, Killer Films Inc., and Andrew Lauren Productions have acquired Alvaro García Lecuona’s LGBTQ coming-of-age drama What If? Billy Porter will direct.
– Spike Lee is making a Viagra musical! The untitled project will follow the early history and discovery of the little blue pill. Entertainment One, Jackson Pictures, and Lee’s 40 Acres & A Mule Inc. will produce. Lee will co-write the script with Kwame Kwei-Armah, and he’ll also direct. Stew Stewart and Heidi Rodewald will provide original music and lyrics.
– Eduardo Cisneros and Jason Shuman will script the Short Circuit remake for Spyglass Media Group, Project X Entertainment, and Rehab Entertainment. The original film was written by S.S. Wilson and Brent Maddock. The new movie will have a Latinx spin to it.
– Oakhurst Entertainment, Lighthouse Management & Media, and Go Media Productions will produce the road drama Sacramento, written by Michael Angarano and Chris Smith. Angarano will star alongside Michael Cera and Maya Erskine, and he’ll also direct.
– Treehouse Pictures is moving forward with the satire The Fence. The script was written by Shane Danielsen from a story by Grímur Hákonarson. Hákonarson will also direct, and Miles Teller, Shailene Woodley, and William Hurt will star.
– Homegrown Pictures acquired The Fighting Shirley Chisholm, which was previously set up at Amazon in 2018. Adam Countee wrote the script, Cherien Dabis will direct, and Danai Gurira will star.
– Jonathan Herman will script the reboot/remake of The Scorpion King for Universal Pictures and Seven Bucks Productions (Dwayne Johnson). The original film was written by William Osborne and David Hayter.
– Will Packer Productions acquired Oracle, a psychological horror written by Corey Harrell and Michael Ross and based on an original idea by Jaime Primak-Sullivan. Primak-Sullivan will executive produce, and Daniel di Grado is attached to direct.
– Jeff Nichols will script the third A Quiet Place for Paramount Pictures, Sunday Night Productions (John Krasinski), and Platinum Dunes (Michael Bay and Brad Fuller). Nichols will also direct.
– Stephen Frears will direct The Lost King, written by Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope. The dramedy follows the true story of Philippa Langley as she searches for King Richard’s remains in 2012. Coogan will produce under his company Baby Cow Productions and will also star.
– Carter Bays and Craig Thomas will produce their script Molly and the Moon alongside Levantine Films. The musical/drama/fantasy is inspired by Thomas’ real life experience. Bays and Thomas will also direct, and Kristen Bell and Jonathan Groff are set to star.
– A24 is producing writer/director Ti West’s next horror film, which is currently untitled. Mia Goth will star.
Adaptations currently in development can be found here on Book Pipeline.