Universal Pictures, along with Michael De Luca Productions, Immersive Pictures, and Crazyrose, has optioned Anthony McCarten’s untitled spec based on John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s relationship. Ono is set to produce, and Jean-Marc Vallée (Wild, Big Little Lies) will produce and direct. Warner Bros., Safehouse Pictures, and LBD Productions have picked up Brad Desch’s rom-com spec Wink. Inspired by producer Tory Tunnell’s own experiences, the story is a Cyrano de Bergerac–like tale of what happens when someone takes over their mother’s social media profiles. Jared Cowie’s spec You Are Leaving The American Sector has found a home with Parallel Films. The Cold War spy thriller follows a young CIA officer in West Berlin who uncovers a plot that could send the world into nuclear war. Finally, Voltage Pictures has acquired Tenfold by Allan Ungar. The action spec follows a man who avenges his estranged, soon-to-be-wed daughter’s death. Ungar will also direct.
Other script sales:
– Lena Dunham is set to adapt Melissa Fleming’s nonfiction book A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee’s Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival for producers Steven Spielberg and J.J. Abrams.
– James D’Arcy to write/direct the comedy Made in Italy. Liam Neeson and son Micheál Richardson to star.
– Dev Patel to direct and star in Monkey Man for Thunder Road Pictures with a script he wrote with John Collee and Paul Angunawela.
– Yamara Taylor to script Co-Parenting based on an idea from Chris Rock and Kevin Hart. Rock is set to direct, and Hart to star.
– Marquita Robinson is set to adapt Amy Heckerling’s Clueless for Paramount.
– Ryan Coogler will return to write and direct Black Panther 2 for Marvel and Disney.