Warner Bros. acquired Hammerspace, a sci-fi script written by Mike Van Waes. The story focuses on a terminally ill teenager who discovers an alternate, animated dimension while searching for his missing father. After a bidding war, Universal bought Todd Jones and Eral Ritchey Jones’ family drama/fantasy spec Humbug, an updated version of Charles Dickens’ classic A Christmas Carol. Ice Cube is set to star and produce. And New Line picked up Michael Gunn’s The Virginian. The period-action spec follows a young George Washington who, eager to join the British Army, goes on a dangerous mission to conquer a French fort and save the American colonies.
Other script sales:
– The infamous website Silk Road is getting the movie treatment in Dark Web. Will Staples (Call of Duty) is set to write.
– Liam Neeson has signed on to Byron Willinger and Phil de Blasi’s thriller The Commuter.
– Jordan Peele’s horror/thriller script Get Out has been picked up by Blumhouse Productions. Peele is also set to direct.
– The recent, universally acclaimed thriller Sicario will get a sequel. Original writer Taylor Sheridan will oversee.
– Amazon is moving forward on Tom Kuntz’s dark comedy Desired Moments. Kristen Wiig attached to star.
– Adrien Brody will produce/star in Brian Tucker’s thriller Expiration.