Here are some of the most notable script sales from August 2020:
– 2020 Script Pipeline Finalist Crosby Selander sold his spec sci-fi script Bring Me Back to Legendary Pictures in a seven-figure deal, making it one of the largest deals for a “new,” unproduced writer in recent years. The sale occurred after Script Pipeline introduced Selander to Kaplan/Perrone, who subsequently signed him a few weeks later.
– Eva Longoria’s UnbeliEVAble Entertainment, Stampede Ventures, and Sony Pictures Entertainment have picked up Spa Day, a spec action/comedy written by Christine Pietrosh and Jessica Goldstein. Along with producing, Longoria is set to direct and star.
– RVK Studios and Will Packer Productions have picked up Beast, written by Ryan Engle and based on an idea from Jaime Primak-Sullivan, who will executive produce. Baltasar Kormakur is set to produce and direct, and Idris Elba will star.
– Universal Pictures and LeBron James’s SpringHill Entertainment have picked up Ali Kinney’s original pitch Catch the Wave, based on the untold history of Los Angeles’s Bruce Beach, a Black coastal community that thrived in the 1950s.
– Jeff Nathanson will script the sequel to Disney’s live-action Lion King movie. Barry Jenkins will direct.
– Neil Widener and Gavin James will script a movie based on Mattel’s Hot Wheels brand. Warner Bros. and Mattel Films & Television will produce.
– Matt Lopez will write a reboot/remake of Father of the Bride for Warner Bros. Unlike the 1950 and 1991 films, this version will feature a Cuban-American cast.
– Universal Pictures, Bazelevs Productions, and Big Wheel Entertainment have fast-tracked Kenneth Golde’s sci-fi/drama/thriller script (currently untitled). Timur Bekmambetov will produce, Rich Lee will direct, and Ice Cube will star.
– Over at Bad Robot and Paramount Pictures, Lee Isaac Chung will rewrite the live-action, English-language adaptation of Your Name. Emily V. Gordon and Eric Heisserer wrote previous drafts, and the movie will be based on the 2016 Japanese animated film written by Makoto Shinkai. Chung will also direct.
– 108 Media will produce Janina Gavankar and Russo Schelling’s untitled horror script based on the ancient HIndu myth of Rakshasa. Gavankar will also star.
– Searchlight Pictures and Portobello Electric have picked up Haley Boston’s psychological thriller Keith, based on a treatment by Sacha Gervasi, who will also produce. Peter Dinklage is set to executive produce and star.
– Over at Sony Pictures Entertainment and Olive Bridge Entertainment, Will Gluck will direct End of the World, an action/buddy comedy written by Gluck and Christ Bremner.
– See-Saw Films, BBC Films, and FilmNation Entertainment are moving forward with One Life, written by Lucinda Coxon and Nick Drake and based on the true story of Nicholas “Nicky” Winton. Aisling Walsh will direct, Anthony Hopkins and Johnny Flynn will star.
– Thunder Road Pictures, Arthur Sarkissian Productions, and AGC Studios have acquired P.G. Cuschieri’s action/thriller script The Father. Tommy Wirkola will direct, and Donnie Yen, Alec Baldwin, and Frank Grillo are attached to star.
– Miramax Films and 6th & Idaho: Mattson Tomlin will direct Mother/Android from a script he wrote.
– Guy Ritchie will direct Five Eyes for Miramax Films. STX Entertainment and Ritchie’s Toff Guy Films will serve as the production companies. Ritchie will also revise the script, originally written by Ivan Atkinson, Marn Davies, and Ritchie. Jason Statham is set to star.
– Sam Raimi’s Raimi Productions and Scott Beck and Bryan Woods’s Beck/Woods will make 65, a sci-fi/thriller written by Beck & Woods, who will also direct. Adam Driver is set to star.
Adaptations currently in development can be found here on Book Pipeline.